Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Little Things

I remember the first time I saw the skirt. Window-shopping, I spot an ankle-length, pure-white hippie skirt across the aisle and my breath stops. It's just so beautiful! Maybe I could sacrifice ten or fifteen bucks... oh my goodness, it's thirty dollars?

There's just no way I can spare that kind of money--especially on something that I don't technically need. With my mission trip coming up in two months, I needed to be saving every penny. After all, if I'm asking other people to sacrifice their own finances for this trip, I should be doing the same thing.

...but man, I want that skirt so bad.


Determined to find a better price, I go home and search the internet for "ankle-length white skirts," "hippie skirts," and even "artsy white skirts." Yet every option was the same price or more! Since when did skirts become so dang expensive?


Two weeks passed, and I couldn't get this silly skirt off my mind.


That's how I found myself back at the department store again, holding up the skirt in my hands like a dainty silver necklace. "Please, God, provide this for me if I'm supposed to have it. If I'm not, just make me okay with that. After all, it's just a skirt." I whisper this prayer softly as I gently put the skirt back on its rack. I run my fingertips down the white material and slowly turn away. I don't know if or how You plan on providing this... maybe a gift card or something?

I kept this little secret in my heart. Somehow, I just knew it wasn't time to tell anyone yet.

Plus, I didn't want to look silly because I prayed over a skirt.


Later that night, I spent hours writing out support letters to send to friends and family members. Suddenly, my mother enters the room and puts a long, flowing, white hippie skirt in my lap--then proceeds to walk away like it was no big deal!

Freaking out, I jump up and ask her where she bought it. "Actually, I bought it two years ago, but accidentally got it in the wrong size! I just found it in a box of old summer things and realized it would fit you. Do you like it?"


Even in something so small, I know that God provided this gift for me. There's no other way to explain how my mom bought a skirt two years in advance would just so happen to fit me... and she found it mere hours after I prayed over the skirt.

"Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!" (Luke 12:17-18)

Oh, and did I mention that it's even cuter than the one in the store??


3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! Reading about how God provided for you brought a smile to my face. Oh, how God delights in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so faithful, even in the littlest of things... :) Thank you for sharing your testimony!

    ReplyDelete